Spiced Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds each)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir onions in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add the cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer or until onions are tender. Stir in the broth, water, salt and reserved squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool soup slightly. Discard cinnamon. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through. Sprinkle each serving with parsley. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
Sort By :
We loved the flavor of this soup. Will use either less broth or more squash for thicker consistency.
I love this soup recipe. Very good nice mild sweet and heat flavors. Will make again, cuts in half nicely.
This is wonderful soup, I did add two small baked sweet potatoes along with one large squash, which I baked together.
I would normally have given this soup three stars, but I gave it four because it's tasty for such a healthy soup. I think as far as taste and effort are concerned, you're better off making a butternut squash bisque, which will be superior in flavor (but with more calories). Transferring the soup to a blender is kind of a pain, and you should make sure you have plenty of time to undertake this recipe. However - all of that being said, this is a pretty flavorful soup for being so healthy, so I am therefore recommending it. Watch the liquid - I wish my soup had been a bit thicker. See how the first batch comes out of the blender and then modify you water content from there.
This soup is delicious! I added coconut as a topping, which gave it a bit more texter and a little sweetness, which was very good, but it was also great all by itself. I will definitely make this soup again!
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >