Spiced Beef Roast Recipe
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast or 1 beef bottom round roast (2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup each chopped dried plums and apricots
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. For marinade, combine the onion, vinegar, broth, brown sugar, bay leaf and seasonings in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Pierce roast several times with a meat fork; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add cooled marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Place meat and marinade in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in dried fruit and raisins. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until meat and fruit are tender. Discard bay leaf. Remove roast to a platter; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- 4. For gravy, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Pour pan juices into a saucepan; gradually stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef. Yield: 8 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef with 2 tablespoons gravy equals 317 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fruit, 1 starch.
Reviews for Spiced Beef Roast
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.