Spiced Baked Beets
Meet the Cook: Especially during fall and winter, this recipe is a favorite. With its red color, it looks great served at Christmastime. It's nice for taking to potlucks as well.
My husband and I have two grown children. I teach home economics.
-Margery Richmond, Lacombe, Alberta
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 cups shredded peeled beets (about 4 to 5 medium)
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- 1 medium potato, shredded
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beets, onion and
- potato. In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; pour over
- vegetables and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; bake 15-25
- minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2-cup (prepared without salt) equals 84 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch,