Spiced Baked Beets
Meet the Cook: Especially during fall and winter, this recipe is a favorite. With its red color, it looks great served at Christmastime. It's nice for taking to potlucks as well.
My husband and I have two grown children. I teach home economics.
-Margery Richmond, Lacombe, Alberta
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 cups shredded peeled beets (about 4 to 5 medium)
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- 1 medium potato, shredded
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, combine the beets, onion and potato; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil, water, vinegar and
- seasonings. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Pour into a greased
- 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and bake 15-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 84 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber,