Meet the Cook: Especially during fall and winter, this recipe is a favorite. With its red color, it looks great served at Christmastime. It's nice for taking to potlucks as well. My husband and I have two grown children. I teach home economics. -Margery Richmond, Lacombe, Alberta
- 4 cups shredded peeled beets (about 4 to 5 medium)
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- 1 medium potato, shredded
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beets, onion and potato. In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; bake 15-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Baked Beets in Country Woman September/October 1996, p33
Reviews for Spiced Baked Beets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review