Spiced Applesauce Recipe
- 6 pounds tart apples (about 18 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1. Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; discard the cinnamon stick. Mash the apples to desired consistency. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 cups.
1/2 cup: 113 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
Reviews for Spiced Applesauce
"Yummy! I used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon instead of the stick & allspice instead of mace.~ Theresa"
"This is by far the best applesauce I've ever had. I make extra every fall and freeze it so I can easily enjoy it all year long."