Cardamom and mace add a bit of unusual spicy flavor to this homemade applesauce. This dish is a wonderful way to make use of autumn's apple bounty.
-Janet Thomas, McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 pounds tart apples (about 18 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low
- heat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring
- occasionally. Remove from the heat; discard the cinnamon stick.
- Mash the apples to desired consistency. Serve warm or cold. Store in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 9 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 113 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.