Cardamom and mace add a bit of unusual spicy flavor to this homemade applesauce. This dish is a wonderful way to make use of autumn's apple bounty. -Janet Thomas, McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania
Recommended: Apple Pie-Inspired Recipes
- 6 pounds tart apples (about 18 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; discard the cinnamon stick. Mash the apples to desired consistency. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 cups.
Originally published as Spiced Applesauce in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p38
Reviews for Spiced Applesauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 25, 2010
"Yummy! I used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon instead of the stick & allspice instead of mace.~ Theresa"
Reviewed Dec. 2, 2010
"This is by far the best applesauce I've ever had. I make extra every fall and freeze it so I can easily enjoy it all year long."