Spiced Apple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
"I like unusual desserts like this one," says Mavis Diment of Marcus, Iowa. "Judging from the condition of my recipe card, this must be very good - a messy, well-worn card shows I've made this cake countless times."
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spiced apple rings
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. Drain the apple rings, reserving 1 tablespoon syrup; set apple rings aside. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in brown sugar and reserved syrup until smooth. Spread evenly in a greased 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with almonds. Top with apple rings; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk, vanilla and remaining butter. Combine flour, sugar and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended.
- 3. Spoon over apple rings. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 465 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (71g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Spiced Apple Upside-Down Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC