Spiced Apple Pork Roast
"I THINK what I enjoy most about Ukrainian cooking is the smells it creates. This pork roast reminds me of my mother's kitchenit smells wonderful! My mother canned and preserved in the fall and always used applesauce to glaze the meat. That's probably why I associate the sweet aroma of this hearty stick-to-your-ribs meal with cooler weather."
12-15 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds), trimmed
- 1 garlic clove, cut into lengthwise strips
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cut slits in top of roast; insert garlic strips. Combine the flour,
- mustard, salt, sugar and pepper; rub over roast. Place fat side up
- on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat
- thermometer reads 160°. Combine the applesauce, brown sugar,
- vinegar and cloves; generously brush over roast during the last 30
- minutes of baking. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield:
- 12-15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (5 ounces) equals 180 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium,