Spiced Apple Gingerbread Recipe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apple (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, egg and molasses. Combine the flours, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and spices; add to the molasses mixture alternately with yogurt, beating just until combined. Fold in the apples.
- 2. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; dollop with whipped topping. Yield: 9 servings.
One serving (1 piece with 2 tablespoons whipped topping) equals 203 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit.