Spiced Apple Dessert Recipe
Drizzled with warm caramel sauce, this classic and comforting, old-fashioned dessert is an heirloom recipe. “It was passed down from my Great-Aunt Syd,” writes Anne Livingston from Evanston, Illinois. “It’s so good in wintertime and no one ever guesses it’s as light as it is!” TASTY TIP Chopped pecans make an easy but elegant substitute in this recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Combine egg and apples; add to flour mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For sauce, in a small nonstick saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add water; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Serve with warm apple dessert. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 251 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC