- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- applesauce (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking
- soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cayenne; gradually add to
- the creamed mixture until combined. Fold in apple mixture. Fill
- paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and maple syrup; beat until smooth. Pipe
- frosting onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with allspice. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 frosted cupcake equals 282 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.