- 3 cups chopped peeled Gala or Braeburn apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Dash salt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan. In a large bowl, toss apples with bourbon.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apple mixture and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk, bourbon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Drizzle over warm cake. Cool completely. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Spiced Apple Cake with Caramel Icing
"I ordered this book and I wanted to put it to use! I prepared this recipe for the first time and it came out very nicely! I DID make adjustments by adding 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange to the creamed mixture and instead of bourbon, I'd used 1 tsp. rum extract to the chopped peeled apples 1/3 cup cinnamon-sugar mixture. I used pumpkin pie spice since I'd had that available! (I omitted the nuts. I generally do NOT add nuts to my baked goods a large part of the time as a # of people have nut allergies.) I baked the cake In a greased and floured 10" fluted Bundt pan and I baked it just 70 minutes. I DID test the cake with a cake tester to make sure it was completely done. I prepared the icing. I used 1-1/8 tsp. rum extract instead of the bourbon and 2 Tbsp. of 2% milk in the icing and drizzled over the cake and then cooled the cake completely! This recipe worked well for me! delowenstein"