Spiced Apple Cake with Caramel Icing Recipe
- 3 cups chopped peeled Gala or Braeburn apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Dash salt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan. In a large bowl, toss apples with bourbon.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apple mixture and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk, bourbon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Drizzle over warm cake. Cool completely. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Apple Cake with Caramel Icing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Spiced Apple Cake with Caramel Icing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review