Spiced Apple Butter
This is a wonderful recipe to create a delicious spread for muffins, bread, and scones. It is so flavorful yet easy to make.—Antique Apple Orchard, Joe Brocard, Sweet Home, Oregon
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 8 medium apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, apple cider, brown sugar,
- molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until
- mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in raisins and lemon peel. Cool to room
- temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 49 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.