- 8 medium apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, apple cider, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in raisins and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews for Spiced Apple Butter
Sort By :
"This is the best apple butter I have tasted. I love the addition of molasses to it, gives it a special flavor. Will definitely be making this again."
"Excellent! Not too sweet. Good mix of spices, great flavor."
"I really like this recipe...it is scrumpious and so easy to put together. I wasn't sure about the molasses but I found great flavor. I will use this recipe again as I like to do homemade gifts from the kitchen."