This is a wonderful recipe to create a delicious spread for muffins, bread, and scones. It is so flavorful yet easy to make.—Antique Apple Orchard, Joe Brocard, Sweet Home, Oregon
- 8 medium apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, apple cider, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in raisins and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Spiced Apple Butter in Country October/November 2009, p56
Reviews for Spiced Apple Butter
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review