Spiced Almond Cookies
These cookies are my all-time favorite! The recipe has won ribbons at fairs and applause from family and guests alike! One of the reasons I like it is that I can make the dough and freeze it. Then, when I need another batch of cookies, I take a "log" out of the freezer, thaw it and make fresh cookies in minutes!
42 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and
- fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Combine dry ingredients; stir into
- creamed mixture along with nuts. Shape into three 9x1-1/2-in. rolls;
- wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2-3 days for spices to blend.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2
- in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until
- set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 7 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 160 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium,