"Working full-time, I found I didn't always have time to cook the meals my family loved. So I re-created many of our favorites in the slow cooker," notes Carol Greco of Centereach, New York. "This cinnamony treatment for squash is one of them."
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup water
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; spoon into squash halves. Sprinkle with raisins. Top each with 1 tablespoon butter. Wrap each half individually in heavy-duty foil, sealing tightly.
- Pour water into a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place squash in slow cooker, cut side up (packets may be stacked). Cook, covered, on high 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until squash is tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Acorn Squash in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p35
Reviews for Spiced Acorn Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review