Spice-Rubbed Turkey Recipe
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 small lemons
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1. In a small bowl combine the first five ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub half the spice mixture under the skin.
- 2. Brush turkey with oil. Rub remaining spice mixture over turkey. Place lemons inside the neck and body cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Arrange onions in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place turkey, breast side up, over onions.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- 5. Remove lemons from cavity. When cool enough to handle, halve lemons and squeeze juice over turkey if desired. Discard onions. Yield: 28 servings.
4 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without skin): 208 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, trace fiber), 33g protein Diabetic Exchanges:4 lean meat
Reviews for Spice-Rubbed Turkey
"I would also use butter with the spices . This helps maintain moisture in the meat . Spread under the skin with the spices ."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer