- 6 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 small lemons
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl combine the first five ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub half the spice mixture under the skin.
- Brush turkey with oil. Rub remaining spice mixture over turkey. Place lemons inside the neck and body cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Arrange onions in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place turkey, breast side up, over onions.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Remove lemons from cavity. When cool enough to handle, halve lemons and squeeze juice over turkey if desired. Discard onions. Yield: 28 servings.
Originally published as Spice-Rubbed Turkey in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012, p8
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Spice-Rubbed Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2013
I would also use butter with the spices . This helps maintain moisture in the meat . Spread under the skin with the spices .
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Baking Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >