This spice mix comes from my mother's chili recipe, which is fantastic. It'll make a great gift for the hearty eaters you know, especially if you pair it with a loaf of bread. —Vivian Huizinga, Shallow Lake, Ontario
- 3-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons each salt, onion powder, pepper, ground cumin, paprika and dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, optional
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, combine all of the seasonings. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches (about 6 tablespoons total).
- To prepare chili: In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and mushrooms if desired over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, soup, 2 tablespoons spice mix, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Spice Mix for Chili in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p55
Reviews for Spice Mix for Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2011
"This combination of spices is perfect for a nice zesty bowl of soup. It is now my family's favorite soup."