Spice It Up Soup Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked hot turkey Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/3 cup: 222 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1153mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat, 0 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Spice It Up Soup
"This is a very tasty recipe! My husband & I both loved it (he suggested that beans: Kidney, Pinto or Chili Beans would be a nice addition)."