Spice It Up Soup Recipe
Turkey Italian sausage and jalapeno peppers add kick to this chunky soup. "The original recipe called for a lot of butter and three cooking pots. I eliminated the butter and tossed the ingredients together in just one pot," says Guyla Cooper from Enville, Tennessee. "My husband really enjoys this meaty soup, so I make plenty and freeze what's left over in individual servings for his lunches."
- 1 pound uncooked hot turkey Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Spice It Up Soup in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p54
Reviews for Spice It Up Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2011
This is a very tasty recipe! My husband & I both loved it (he suggested that beans: Kidney, Pinto or Chili Beans would be a nice addition).
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >