Spice Cupcakes with Dates Recipe
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Caramel Frosting or frosting of your choice
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the oats and dates. Pour water over and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in another small bowl, beat shortening and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Add oat mixture and vanilla; beat on low speed until blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; stir into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in nuts.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 16 cupcakes.
1 each: 251 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Spice Cupcakes with Dates
"i make cupcakes almost like these--i add bran ceral -whole wheat flour--raisins or dates any dried fruit to suite the persons taste- honey (no white sugar) some times molasses and glaze with a jam of any flavor U like....."