- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Caramel Frosting or frosting of your choice
- In a small bowl, combine the oats and dates. Pour water over and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in another small bowl, beat shortening and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add oat mixture and vanilla; beat on low speed until blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; stir into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in nuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 16 cupcakes.
Originally published as Spice Cupcakes with Dates in Country Woman January/February 2007, p34
Reviews for Spice Cupcakes with Dates
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 22, 2008
"i make cupcakes almost like these--i add bran ceral -whole wheat flour--raisins or dates any dried fruit to suite the persons taste- honey (no white sugar) some times molasses and glaze with a jam of any flavor U like....."