Spice Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and raisins to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir in raisins. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir until smooth. Stir in butter and vanilla. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes; top with nuts if desired. Yield: 14 cupcakes.
Reviews for Spice Cupcakes
Sort By :
"Made these today and they were very good but next time I'm going to try wolfmommy's idea and soak the raisins in rum first."
"Can this be made in a loaf instead of cupcakes? It sounds awesome!"
"Made these today with a small variation. I soaked the raisins in spiced rum then added water to the rum to reach the 2 cups. Finished the cupcakes as written. Then added a teaspoon spiced rum instead of vanilla to the frosting. My husband raved and wants me to make these often."
"If you don't want to use the raisins, substitute 3/4 to 1 cup of applesauce....or enough applesauce (to your liking) to make the batter moist ."