- 2 cups water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and raisins to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir in raisins. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir until smooth. Stir in butter and vanilla. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes; top with nuts if desired. Yield: 14 cupcakes.
Reviews for Spice Cupcakes
Sort By :
"My 3-year-old son and I just made these and they are wonderful! Satisfies the sweet tooth without being too sweet, great texture, and very easy to make with a young one. We didn't have raisins on hand, so to get the batter moist enough, we substituted with 1 cup of his Mott's for Tots apple juice, which is kind of like watered-down traditional juice. It worked beautifully. We didn't even add icing, they were good on their own. I'm saving this recipe!"
"Made these today and they were very good but next time I'm going to try wolfmommy's idea and soak the raisins in rum first."
"Can this be made in a loaf instead of cupcakes? It sounds awesome!"
"Made these today with a small variation. I soaked the raisins in spiced rum then added water to the rum to reach the 2 cups. Finished the cupcakes as written. Then added a teaspoon spiced rum instead of vanilla to the frosting. My husband raved and wants me to make these often."