- resealable plastic bag, combine the pepper, brown sugar, garlic
- powder, paprika, coffee, salt, cinnamon, cumin and mustard. Add
- steaks, one at a time, and shake to coat. Cover and refrigerate for
- 30 minutes.
- Place oil in a 10-in. cast-iron skillet; tilt to coat bottom. Heat
- oil over medium-high heat; sear steaks for 2 minutes on each side.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until meat reaches
- desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read
- 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove steaks and
- keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute shallot in butter until crisp-tender. Add
- broth and thyme. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by
- half, about 8 minutes. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Cook for 8
- minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the reserved cherry mixture. Serve sauce over steaks.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 steak with 3 tablespoons sauce (calculated without blue cheese) equals 506 calories, 28 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.