- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup port wine, warmed
- 3-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/4 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, combine cherries and wine; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, coffee, salt, cinnamon, cumin and mustard. Add steaks, one at a time, and shake to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place oil in a 10-in. cast-iron skillet; tilt to coat bottom. Heat oil over medium-high heat; sear steaks for 2 minutes on each side. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove steaks and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute shallot in butter until crisp-tender. Add broth and thyme. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Cook for 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the reserved cherry mixture. Serve sauce over steaks. Sprinkle with blue cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spice-Crusted Steaks with Cherry Sauce in Fresh Home Winter 2011, p103
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spice-Crusted Steaks with Cherry Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >