Spice Crumb Cake
For a sweet treat, my family enjoys the old-fashioned goodness of this cake. It is my great-grandmother's recipe.—Carolyn Nicholas, Winter Springs, Florida
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, spices and
- salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove and set aside 1 cup for topping. In another bowl, beat the
- eggs, buttermilk and molasses. Add to the remaining flour mixture;
- mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved
- topping. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 291 calories, 21 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 326 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.