- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, spices and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove and set aside 1 cup for topping. In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and molasses. Add to the remaining flour mixture; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Spice Crumb Cake(3)
Sort By :
Great way to use up expired milk (as buttermilk)! Next time I'll add nuts or raisins to give the cake a bit of a bite.
Very nice, simple recipe.
This is a delicious cake. I think adding 1 cup of raisins would add to the flavor. My husband felt it was a bit strong on cloves so next time I think I will half the cloves. I don't like to make icing so this is ideal with the crumb topping.