- In a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, sugar, water
- and cream of tartar until blended. Place over simmering water in a
- large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture
- until a thermometer reads 160°, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla. With the whisk attachment of a stand
- mixer, beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7
- minutes. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides
- of cake. Store frosted cake, uncovered, in refrigerator. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 396 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.