Spice Cake with Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING:
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla. With the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Store frosted cake, uncovered, in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Spice Cake with Frosting
Sort By :
I was looking for a spice cake *without* pumpkin in it and this one tasted just like our family's favorite spice cookies we eat every Autumn! The cake was delicious! I paired it with a pumpkin buttercream frosting and the flavors together were incredible! I'm making this again today as a layer cake instead of as mini cupcakes like I did the first time [http://younghomemakers.blogspot.com/2011/10/mini-autumn-spiced-cupcakes-with.html]. I'm entering it into the Fall Festival bake-off today!
Very moist and delicious! :)