Spice-Brined Pork Roast Recipe
- 2 quarts water
- 8 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 tablespoons fennel seed, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (4 pounds)
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- 2. Place a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag inside a second large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Carefully pour cooled marinade into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning several times. Strain brine; discard liquid and set aside seasonings.
- 3. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place pork over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, adding reserved seasonings to coals. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 10 servings.
6 ounces cooked pork equals 225 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 6 lean meat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer