- 2 quarts water
- 8 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 tablespoons fennel seed, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (4 pounds)
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Place a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag inside a second large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning several times. Strain brine; discard liquid and set aside seasonings.
- Lightly grease the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add reserved seasonings to coals. Place pork over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2-2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forSpice-Brined Pork Roast
"While the brining technique yielded a moist roast from our Rotisserie, the fennel was not the flavor we were seeking. Next time I plan to substitute the fennel for rosemary and glaze the meat with a sweet barbeque sauce."