Spice-Braised Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix all remaining ingredients except noodles; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 7-9 hours.
- 2. Discard bay leaf. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices. Serve pot roast with noodles and juices. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving: 276 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Spice-Braised Pot Roast
"Excellent recipe. The vinegar and ginger adds a really unique flavor."
"This recipe had a lot of flavor, but I thought the juice was overly greasy."
"this is a delicious recipe!!"
"Served over rice this is a family favorite!"
"This is our favorite pot roast recipe! So yummy! I serve it with the cooking juices over top of mashed potatoes."
"wonderful taste . whole family enjoyedwill be making this one again, putting itin my Keeper folder thank you"
"This is my recipe, and I'm still making it!!Loren Martin, Big Cabin, Oklahoma"
"Made this recipe in 2002, and I'm still making it!!!"
"despite my rating I will try this recipe again. I am con vinced I must have done something wrong. After I figure out what....the meat was tasty but a little tough for having cooked for 9 hours. will get back to you after the next attempt."
"Have made this a couple of times now, once for just my family and once for company. It is one of the best pot roast recipes I have ever tasted! I always serve it with mashed potatoes to soak up all of that yummy gravy."
"Soo tasty! And it smells delicous while it is cooking. We had it over homemade mashed potatoes as well."
"Very tasty roast. Family (including grandchildren) ate every last bite. My family prefers mashed potatoes and this makes its own gravy (gotta love that!)"
"looks & sounds great! wish I had smellavision, so I'II just have to make!"
"I varied the spices to suit my family tastes, this recipe was excellent and so easy to make."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.