- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix all remaining ingredients except noodles; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 7-9 hours.
- Discard bay leaf. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices. Serve pot roast with noodles and juices. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spice-Braised Pot Roast
"I seared the roast & Then put in the crock pot. No poppy seeds. I threw in some coriander. Good indian style/flavored pot roast . Not hot in seasonings, and very tasty. About 6 hours in my crock."
"Excellent! And it is just as good, if not better, the second time around. Since I was planning to oven-braise the roast. I browned it in my Dutch oven before adding the remaining ingredients. I then brought it to a boil on the stovetop and baked it @325 degrees for about 3 hours. I served it over wide noodles, and it was falling-apart tender. This recipe will take its place in my fall-winter dinner rotation."
"Fabulous! One son said it just might beat out the old family favorite. Even better on day 2."
"Excellent recipe. The vinegar and ginger adds a really unique flavor."
"This recipe had a lot of flavor, but I thought the juice was overly greasy."
"this is a delicious recipe!!"
"Served over rice this is a family favorite!"
"This is our favorite pot roast recipe! So yummy! I serve it with the cooking juices over top of mashed potatoes."
"wonderful taste . whole family enjoyedwill be making this one again, putting itin my Keeper folder thank you"
"This is my recipe, and I'm still making it!!Loren Martin, Big Cabin, Oklahoma"