- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix all remaining ingredients except noodles; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 7-9 hours.
- Discard bay leaf. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices. Serve pot roast with noodles and juices. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spice-Braised Pot Roast
"Excellent! And it is just as good, if not better, the second time around. Since I was planning to oven-braise the roast. I browned it in my Dutch oven before adding the remaining ingredients. I then brought it to a boil on the stovetop and baked it @325 degrees for about 3 hours. I served it over wide noodles, and it was falling-apart tender. This recipe will take its place in my fall-winter dinner rotation."
"Fabulous! One son said it just might beat out the old family favorite. Even better on day 2."
"Excellent recipe. The vinegar and ginger adds a really unique flavor."
"This recipe had a lot of flavor, but I thought the juice was overly greasy."
"this is a delicious recipe!!"
"Served over rice this is a family favorite!"
"This is our favorite pot roast recipe! So yummy! I serve it with the cooking juices over top of mashed potatoes."
"wonderful taste . whole family enjoyedwill be making this one again, putting itin my Keeper folder thank you"
"This is my recipe, and I'm still making it!!Loren Martin, Big Cabin, Oklahoma"
"Made this recipe in 2002, and I'm still making it!!!"