Spice Bars Recipe
"These bars smell so good while they are baking—the spicy aroma brings everyone to the kitchen in a hurry!" relates Brooke Pike of Pierre, South Dakota.
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, brown sugar, molasses, butter, egg and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, Chinese five-spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture and beat until blended. Stir in raisins.
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
One bar equals 139 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Spice Bars
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC