"These bars smell so good while they are baking—the spicy aroma brings everyone to the kitchen in a hurry!" relates Brooke Pike of Pierre, South Dakota.
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, brown sugar, molasses, butter, egg and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, Chinese five-spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture and beat until blended. Stir in raisins.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Spice Bars in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p48
Reviews for Spice Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2010
"These are basically the ideal snack cake, easy to mix up, healthy, and really tasty."