Spell-Binding Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cups canned stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth, divided
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and seasoned salt; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown beef and garlic in oil. Add the parsnips, carrots, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, 1 cup broth, ketchup, herbs and remaining Worcestershire sauce.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Add the corn and peas. Cover and bake 30-45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 513 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 8g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Spell-Binding Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.