- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cups canned stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth, divided
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and seasoned salt; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown beef and garlic in oil. Add the parsnips, carrots, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, 1 cup broth, ketchup, herbs and remaining Worcestershire sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Add the corn and peas. Cover and bake 30-45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Spell-Binding Stew in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p240
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spell-Binding Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >