Speedy Weeknight Chili Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Speedy Weeknight Chili
Sort By :
"This was a good, tomatoey chili. I served it with the Corn Squash Muffins from the same issue."
"I have made this for years in prep. For our annual pumpkin cut party.I agree when reheating.......use more beer.. It feeds many!"
"This was really easy to make,and that's a plus. But I thought it was rather bland with a little too much tomato flavor. When I heated up the leftovers, it was even more bland. It's not bad or gross, just bland. If I were to make it again, I might just stir in a chili seasoning pack. It makes a lot, and it's filling for the amount of calories in a serving, also a plus."
"Prepared the recipe almost as is...substituted 2 cans (16 ounces each) of diced tomatoes for the Crushed tomatoes as I didn't have the Crushed tomatoes on hand. I also omitted the green pepper and the hot pepper sauce as I prepared this for my children and I and they don't care for green peppers or spicy foods."
"This has been my favorite chili recipe for years now. I get requests for it all the time. I do add more garlic and usually a bit more salt at the end (after tasting). I also add a can or corn to the recipe. I agree with the other reviewer, the sour cream and cheese is a must do. For heating up the next day add more beer. The beer flavor of this chili makes it a winner every time!!!!"