Speedy Spanish Rice
Mexican food is big with our family; in fact, one of my nephews loves this dish so much that he always requests it for his special birthday dinner! -Angie Rorick of Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup picante sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the rice, onion and green pepper
- in butter until rice is lightly browned and vegetables are
- crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water,
- cilantro, cumin, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in picante sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 201 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 615 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,