- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup picante sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the rice, onion and green pepper in butter until rice is lightly browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, cilantro, cumin, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in picante sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Speedy Spanish Rice
"the picante sauce should be optional..."
"I also had to use instant white rice. And red pepper, instead of green. The seasoning was perfect. A keeper!"
"Oh my goodness, this is good. I use instant white rice though after trying brown rice. I'm not a fan of instant rice but this is very tasty. I omitted the cilantro as I didn't have any."
"Simple and easy to prepare. I did not have brown instant rice, so I substituted instant white rice, and it came out just fine."