Speedy Seafood Gumbo
I needed a quick meal one blustery night when my husband was coming home late with the kids. So I threw together this tasty gumbo with ingredients I had on hand, and my family really liked it. Preparing it with instant rice gives us more family time together. —Lori Costo, The Woodlands, Texas
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed chicken gumbo soup, undiluted
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut okra
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water and butter; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine remaining ingredients and
- remaining water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat
- to medium; cook, covered, until heated through. Stir in cooked rice.
- Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 155 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 1,010 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.