I needed a quick meal one blustery night when my husband was coming home late with the kids. So I threw together this tasty gumbo with ingredients I had on hand, and my family really liked it. Preparing it with instant rice gives us more family time together. —Lori Costo, The Woodlands, Texas
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed chicken gumbo soup, undiluted
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut okra
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water and butter; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine remaining ingredients and remaining water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, until heated through. Stir in cooked rice. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Speedy Seafood Gumbo in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p41
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Speedy Seafood Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review