Speedy Salmon Casserole
Next, she prepares the Speedy Salmon Casserole, which bakes at the same oven temperature as the cake.
"Living here on the Kenai Peninsula, we have plenty of fresh salmon. Bat this creamy, comforting casserole tastes just as good with canned salmon," she assures.
"It's also a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoesor dress up instant ones.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, flaked and bones removed
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and
- ketchup until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes. Add salmon. Prepared mashed potatoes
- according to package directions.
- Spoon half into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with salmon
- mixture, remaining potatoes and cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375°
- for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 296 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 652 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.