Speedy Jambalaya Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 pound fully cooked andouille or smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, paprika, thyme, pepper and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in peas and sausage; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice. Sprinkle each serving with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 346 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1020mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein
Reviews for Speedy Jambalaya
"I made this today and am going to be sure to make it many more times. I did half the recipe as there are only 3 of us. One can of black eyed peas and a 15 oz can of tomatoes along with half the other amounts and it was very tasty."
"This is great, even without the black eye peas. I just skipped them, and mixed some cooked rice in so it looked more like jambalaya usually does. Even with these changes this was delicious - especially on a stormy miserable Monday night!"
"I loved the black eyed peas in this; they were great! There are a TON, though, so if you're not crazy about black eyed peas, I'd used less."