- 1-1/3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 pound fully cooked andouille or smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, paprika, thyme, pepper and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in peas and sausage; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice. Sprinkle each serving with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Speedy Jambalaya
"I made this today and am going to be sure to make it many more times. I did half the recipe as there are only 3 of us. One can of black eyed peas and a 15 oz can of tomatoes along with half the other amounts and it was very tasty."
"This is great, even without the black eye peas. I just skipped them, and mixed some cooked rice in so it looked more like jambalaya usually does. Even with these changes this was delicious - especially on a stormy miserable Monday night!"
"I loved the black eyed peas in this; they were great! There are a TON, though, so if you're not crazy about black eyed peas, I'd used less."