From her home in Bradley, California, Cindy Marshall sends this fun "hands-on" recipe that lets kids create their own cool ice cream. "Every child I prepare this with loves making and eating it," she writes. "It doesn't leave a mess to clean and keeps the children smiling and giggling."
Recommended: 57 Bake Sale Recipes That’ll Earn Big Bucks
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups coarsely crushed ice cubes
- 3/4 cup salt
- In a small resealable plastic bag, combine the cream, sugar and vanilla. Press out air and seal.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the ice and salt; add the sealed small bag. Seal the large bag; place in another large resealable plastic bag and seal. Shake and knead for 5-7 minutes or until cream mixture is thickened. Serve immediately or freeze. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Speedy Ice Cream in Quick Cooking July/August 2004