Speedy Huevos Rancheros
Canned chilies, Mexican-style tomatoes, onion and bacon add plenty of zippy flavor to this hearty poached egg dish from Therese Langolf of Piru, California. "I often make it when we go camping, because one skilletful provides a hearty breakfast for the whole family," she notes.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 10 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- Flour or corn tortillas, warmed, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Stir in tomatoes,
- onion and chilies. Simmer, uncovered, until onion is tender.
- With a spoon, make 10 wells in the tomato mixture; break an egg into
- each. Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until eggs
- are set. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook 1 minute longer or
- until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Serve with tortillas if
- desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 367 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 444 mg cholesterol, 939 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.