"I came up with this colorful stovetop dinner on a day I needed to get supper together in a jiffy," says Vicky Hartel, Caledonia, Wisconsin, a busy mother of three. "I save time by cooking the broccoli along with the macaroni."
Recommended: 30-Minute Meals Your Family Will Love
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook macaroni in boiling water for 5 minutes. Add broccoli; return to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until macaroni is tender; drain. Return to the pan. Combine soup, milk, butter, nutmeg, garlic powder and pepper; add to macaroni mixture with ham. mix well; heat through. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Speedy Ham and Macaroni in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p63
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Speedy Ham and Macaroni
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 1, 2013
"Next time less nutmeg."
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2013
"Made this as a quick meal with left over ham. My family of eight gobbled it up!"